Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What is a sin?

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

It is really an interesting list. They seem to be all of equal weight. He doesn't say "this is the really bad one."Here are some definitions:effeminate: not manly in appearance or mannercovetous: desirous of the possessions of another (synonym: jealous)revilers: To use abusive language; to be scornful (synonym: scold)Know anyone with any of those traits? I have them all at times. I have some effeminate traits. I covet - wish I had something that I didn't have. I get jealous. I've used abusive language and been scornful. I hope I'm not doomed. I know lots of folks that are not homosexual but are effeminate and are covetous and are scornful. Some of them sit on row one of the church or preach from the pulpit.

Joyce Meyer is effeminate. She seems to be somewhat covetous given her lifestyle and I've heard her be scornful right from the pulpit. I hope she is not doomed too. We would probably be together.

One more observation: Can women be effeminate? He didn't say he was only speaking to men did he? We "assume" that he talking about men, but it doesn't say that. Who is he writting this letter to? Why didn't he include lesbians being masculine in his list? Just making an observation.The list is really interesting in that it doesn't include some sins that I would consider far worse than any of those.Murder, rape, child abuse for example. It doesn't even list all of the 10 commandments. If I was God I'd send a child abuser to hell before I'd send a homosexual. Maybe they'll both be there. Maybe not. If I was God and had to list the worst sins I'd have murder at the top followed by sexual abuse of a child. I just might even put the sexual abuse at the top of this list. I can not stand anyone hurting children.Homosexuality would be down the list a ways. Jesus did say that didn't he? His list seemed be slightly different than Paul's. Children: Of such is the Kingdom. Abuse one of them and you'd wish you had never been born. Jesus said that. I'm glad I'm not God. Paul seems to have a different list than I'd use.I'm glad I'm not Paul. I'm sure he knew what he was saying. It just confuses me a bit. I'm glad confusion is not a sin.

No comments: